The Unvegan

Related Posts

Aging Well with Meat
Straws. Now with Beef!
Bulgarians Love Meat
The Meat Myth

The Train of the Future

To meat and beyond.

What have vegetables done for you lately? Sure, if you’re not an unvegan perhaps they have given you a malnourishing meal or two, but beyond that have they done much more than kill your environment? Probably not. Meanwhile, meat has been progressing steadily towards the future of transportation.

Yes, that’s right, meat has become an important part of transportation, and it couldn’t have come at a better time (see: oil spill). Amtrak, the inefficient and disorganized train company that bungles its way across our country, has finally gotten something right. Their train running from Fort Worth to Oklahoma City now runs on 20% cow fat. The other 80% is still old-fashioned diesel, but this is a huge step in the right direction and a huge slap in the face to vegans who pretend their food makes a better environment.

According to Fast Company, “…[this] fuel reduces hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions by 10%, cuts down on particulates by 15%, and reduces sulfates by 20% compared to standard diesel.” Plus, there’s an even bigger benefit that you don’t get from oil…the dead cow that gets converted to beef in my kitchen. Looks like a win-win situation to me and I can’t wait to see what other great things come from meat in the future.

(via Fast Company)